Thursday, June 07, 2007

Seitan Made Better

Thank you, Chris and Darlene of Eat Air, for inspiring me to thaw some much neglected seitan from our freezer (I vowed to never again stray from my usual brand of vital wheat gluten after one batch came out tasting nothing like what I was used to and I kept pretending I'd forgotten I had some frozen from that batch. couldn't bring myself to throw it out!).

Thankfully, their post made me think, "Hmmm, what if I did that with the freezer seitan?!" The results, after making my own almond meal from almonds in the pantry and mixing that with a bit of Ian's penko breadcrumbs and some paprika, were spectacular!Here you see the revitalized and reflavored seitan (it really helped to make it taste more to our liking...as did the homemade agave mustard for dipping!) served with some brown rice noodles with vegan marg, sauteed spinach and nutritional yeast, and some roasted carrots. sooo good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome ;-)

I'm glad you could revitalize your seitan. I didn't post about it but we just did the almond meal seitan thing again a couple nights ago. We cut it into small pieces and had it on a big salad with thousand island dressing from VwaV. Not the best thing in the world for you but so good! Though I'm quite partial to agave mustard sauce/dressing too.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to eat seitan. I especially like your addition of panko bread crumbs.

Amey said...

oh man... that looks so good. I wish you could come over to my house & make me some! I've been in a crazy mood for seitan lately, but I haven't had the time to make it.